Awaiting ContentAwaiting Content
Progression in Knowledge
Progression in Skills
Helping Your Child at Home
It is important that children understand that maths is part of everyday life, and not just something that applies within a maths lesson. Although every effort is made to place children's learning within a wider context, it helps hugely if a child is having regular mathematical conversations at home. Great areas for discussion include:
- Money - Shopping and questions about price, more or less expensive, and change.
- Time - Conversations about how long it takes to get somewhere, times on both analogue and digital clocks, and using calendars.
- Measures - Your child could help with cooking or baking? It involves a huge amount of reading scales, measuring, calculating and estimating. Do they have an idea of what basic measures look like? (A litre of milk, and apple weighs around 100g etc)
- Shape and Direction - Making the language of shape a part of everyday life is a great help as the very specific nature of mathematical vocabulary can be a stumbling block for some children. It's also hugely helpful for children to be familiar with solving shape problems(such as jigsaws) and creating 3D models.
There is a lot of specific vocabulary associated with mathematics and the National Strategies have produced a useful document that indicates the language a child should become familiar with and comfortable using in each year. This is attached below.
Helping Your Child in KS2
Attached are a variety of National Strategies documents that are aimed at the parents of Year 5 and 6 children, although they can be helpful to parents throughout KS2.
- Help for Parents Bar Charts and Tables Help for Parents Bar Charts and Tables pdf
- Help for Parents Decimals Help for Parents Decimals pdf
- Help for Parents Fractions Help for Parents Fractions pdf
- Help for Parents Line Graphs Help for Parents Line Graphs pdf
- Help for Parents Measures and Scales Help for Parents Measures and Scales pdf
- Help for Parents Number Facts Help for Parents Number Facts pdf
- Help for Parents Ratio and Scaling Help for Parents Ratio and Scaling pdf
- Help for Parents Shapes Help for Parents Shapes pdf
- Help for Parents Time Help for Parents Time pdf
- Help for Parents Timetables and 24 hr Clock Help for Parents Timetables and 24 hr Clock pdf
- Help for Parents Using a Calculator Help for Parents Using a Calculator pdf
- Help for Parents Using a Protractor Help for Parents Using a Protractor pdf
- Mathematical Vocabulary Mathematical Vocabulary pdf